Springtime is the perfect time of year to refresh and renew your business marketing skills. A few simple updates now can grow your business and keep you busy and successful through this season and beyond!
- Keep your website updated. Your website acts as an “ambassador” for your clients. Make sure the very basics, such as contact information (names, email addresses, physical location, telephone numbers, etc.), are current and the information is easy to find.
- Make sure navigation is easy so users can easily and quickly find the information they need.
- Remember to keep the design “mobile friendly”, meaning that the site shows properly on a standard computer desktop and a smart device such as a phone or tablet. Technology is becoming more and more “mobile” as people use their tablets and smartphones.
- Visually appealing sites grab the searcher’s eye, so don’t forget to include photos of your business and any jobs you’ve completed (a florist, for example, could include photos of weddings).
- Don’t forget the power of a positive testimonial on your quality of work and your employees. A plumber, for example, could include a testimonial from a business owner who called after-hours about a plumbing leak which was handled quickly and efficiently, resulting in keeping the customer’s business open and operational.
- Add new content on a regular basis, whether it’s updated photos of new staff or interesting and helpful tips about your business and area of specialty.
- Gather email addresses of your clients, but make sure you have confirmed that you can email them marketing materials. An occasional email newsletter helps keep your business top-of-mind and can advertise new services, sales and special deals.
Your online presence beyond your website:
Your online marketing presence is where ever your brand, or business, is mentioned online. There are a variety of options that each require different amounts of time and/or money. With Facebook, for instance, the user-friendly design platform is an easy, quick and free method to get the word out. Make sure your content is fresh, accurate, and interesting.
Google Alerts is another tool every business should use. It is a free automated web search service you can set up to receive alerts when your company has been named online. Results are then sent to subscribers by email each day. Visit www.google.com/alerts to get started.
In the real world:
While so much attention is paid to the online presence of a business, don’t forget about the “real” world! Presenting your business as a professional, clean and knowledgeable entity helps to create your overall image.
From the “every day” basics of business cards and invoices to company flyers and presentation folders, and company uniforms and truck signage, are still important to your business’ brand.
While many of these suggestions cost money, the pay-off in a positive image should reap itself in increased business opportunities. If your time is limited, working a little at a time on some “spring cleaning” can keep you active and engaged in your business marketing.