We often sponsor events such as the Alzheimer’s Association Walk to End Alzheimer’s and the American Cancer Society’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk. We also work closely with nonprofit organizations like United Way to ensure that we truly do make a difference in our surrounding areas. Merchants’ colleagues are encouraged to participate in our philanthropic committees and events as much as possible.
Colleagues in Action (CIA) Committee
Created in 1995, “Colleagues in Action” (CIA) is Merchants’ corporate social responsibility program.
The purpose of the CIA program is to empower our colleagues through involvement in important volunteer and philanthropic projects and activities that create shared value for Merchants and society.
The CIA Board (aka “CIA Committee”) is a small cross-departmental group of volunteers that directs and monitors all volunteer and charitable fundraising activities of the company.
Other duties of the CIA Board include (but are not limited to) the following colleague events:
- Planning and organizing the Colleague Outing.
- Proposing and organizing specific volunteer projects for colleagues to participate in.
- Celebrating an annual volunteer recognition day with a free lunch and free casual dress day.
- Organizing activities for Colleague Appreciation during the summer months.
- Organizing the Holiday Project for a worthy organization.
- Assisting on the Holiday Gift to all colleagues.
United Way Committee
Through partnering with United Way, we hold annual fundraising campaigns that allow Merchants’ colleagues to have fun and engage in friendly competition while also contributing to the greater good of the community.
Whether it’s a bingo and pizza lunch, a basket raffle, a BBQ party in our driveway, or the Day of Caring during which colleagues go out to a volunteer location for the day, we always feel fulfilled when we know we’re having a direct positive impact on the lives of local community members.