Commercial auto insurance, also known as commercial or business vehicle or car insurance, is simply insurance that covers your vehicle(s), including pickup trucks, vans and passenger cars, which are used for work purposes.
Who needs commercial auto insurance?
- Anyone who uses a vehicle for work purposes, beyond commuting to a job site, should have commercial auto insurance. To provide some examples: A plumbing company with a fleet of vehicles, a carpenter who carries tools in his pickup truck to a job site, and a company that has sales representatives who drive to various clients all need commercial auto insurance. 1
Why you need commercial auto insurance
- Personal car insurance typically won’t pay to repair damage or treat injuries to you or others you sustain while you’re in a vehicle for work purposes. Commercial auto insurance provides protection for property damage and liability.2
- Most people don’t need a commercial auto policy if they only use their auto for personal reasons, such as commuting to work, picking up lunch for co-workers, or taking a weekend road trip vacation.3
As option and costs vary, make sure to talk with your independent agent about your needs. Typical coverages you may need include4:
- Property damage liability
- Liability for bodily injury to others
- Personal injury to you, and your employed drivers or passengers, including medical expenses and lost wages
- Collision coverage for costs associated with an accident, regardless of who is at fault
- Comprehensive coverage for damage aside from collision
- Loading and unloading liability
- Alternate transportation when your commercial vehicle is being repaired and you use a vehicle from the repair shop
- Towing and labor costs
How can Merchants help you? Visit our Commercial Auto page, and then talk with one of our independent agents to get the best coverage for your business needs!
1, 3. NerdWallet
2, 4. Trusted Choice