Cyber Monday 2023
Packaging, Shipping, and Last-Minute Logistics: Prepare Your Small Business for Cyber Monday
Thanksgiving is just around the corner — and then, it’s the busiest shopping weekend of the year! In 2022, shoppers spent $11.3 billion on Cyber Monday, making it the biggest online shopping day of the year.
E-commerce has been trending upwards in popularity for years, peaking during the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2021, 127.8 million people shopped online between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday.
When you think of Cyber Monday, you might think mostly about major retailers, but small businesses can absolutely benefit from this day, too. Small Business Saturday isn’t the only day customers want to shop small. In fact, the majority of consumers would rather spend their money at a small business instead of a large retailer, citing reasons such as: keeping the money local, supporting their community and local creators, and experiencing better service. It’s not only wise to prepare your business for the whole holiday weekend, not just Small Business Saturday; it’s crucial to take advantage of this opportunity!
Now that the holiday season’s biggest shopping weekend is only days away, the question is: Are you ready?
Remember: Cyber Monday always falls on the Monday following Thanksgiving. This year, Cyber Monday is Monday, November 27, 2023.
Packaging, Shipping, and Other Logistics to Consider
Let’s talk about an important aspect of Cyber Monday that could easily be overlooked: packaging and shipping. We’ve created a checklist of questions to ask as you finalize plans for the holiday!
- Do you have everything you need to safely package goods? Do you have cushioning, such as foam or paper cushioning, for breakable products? How will you keep items intact?
- Do you have enough boxes and packaging materials for your expected amount of sales? Use last year’s numbers as a benchmark — and remember that even more consumers plan to shop small this year!
- Will you offer gift wrapping to customers?
- Is there another way you’d like to make your packaging stand out and represent your brand?
- When can customers expect their packages? Make sure you give each shopper a realistic timeline for shipping. Keep in mind that delivery can take longer this time of year, between the volume of packages and the weather, so it’s best to ship products as soon as you can!
- Is there any inclement weather coming in your area? Any other cause of delays? Clear communication with your customers goes a long way!
- What will you charge for shipping? Will you offer any incentives for free shipping, and if so, what distance will you allow to ship for free?
- Have you clearly outlined shipping policies? Consider adding FAQs to your website for the occasion and sharing on social media, too, to ensure your customers know what to expect — and when.
- If problems arise, such as a missing package, how will you handle customer concerns?
Is your small business ready for Cyber Monday?
From website updates to shipping logistics, there’s a lot to consider when preparing your small business for the holiday shopping season. Recently, we published a blog all about the prep needed for a successful Cyber Monday.
Read Tips to Prepare Your Small Business for a Successful Cyber Monday for more ideas!
Prepare for Small Business Saturday, too, with these tips: Small Business Advice for Small Business Saturday
We hope your small business thrives this holiday season!
This blog was originally published on November 16, 2022. It was last updated on October 30, 2023.