Merchants Mutual Insurance Company is pleased to announce that David E. Ourlicht has been named to its Board of Directors.
Mr. Ourlicht is Managing Director and Special Advisor to the Chairman of GAMCO, a $27.5 billion asset management firm offering a combination of value equity and investment partnership strategies to address investment solutions for the institutional marketplace. He has held various positions in the asset management industry for the past 20 years, and before this, he had a successful career as a Wall Street banker, including his formative years at Daniels & Bell, the first black-owned and controlled New York Stock Exchange member firm.
Mr. Ourlicht is a former Commissioner of the New York State Insurance Fund (NYSIF) and was Chairman of the Investment Committee and Member of the Budget and Audit Committee. NYSIF is more than 100 years old, and provides approximately 32% of Workers’ Compensation insurance policies in New York State.
In addition Mr. Ourlicht is:
- A trustee of the State of New York Construction Fund and Chair of the Audit Committee, which is responsible for the design, building and construction projects occurring on all SUNY (State University of New York)
- Serves on the Advisory Board of the Alternative Investment Forum and is a Founding Board member of the New York Association of Public Employees’ Retirement Systems (NYPERS).
- A member of the Advisory Council for Mobilizing Institutional Investments for Developing Africa’s Infrastructure (MIDA).
- The Trustee designated by New York City Public Advocate to the New York City Employees Retirement System (NYCERS), the largest municipal retirement plan in the United States.
- Honored as the American Diabetes Association 2014 Father of the Year. In 2014 he was also named trustee of the year by NASP-NY (National Association of Securities Professionals – New York), and in 2013 was named as an NASP Foundation Hall of Fame member.
Mr. Ourlicht graduated with a B.S. Degree from the State University of New York College at Buffalo, and he holds FINRA licenses series 7 and 63. His volunteer affiliations include the Sponsors for Educational Opportunities (SEO). He resides in Manhattan with his wife.