Merchants Mutual Insurance Company, part of the Merchants Insurance Group family of property and casualty insurance companies, was once again named a “Super Regional Property/Casualty Insurer” by Insurance Journal magazine.
Insurance Journal worked with their official research partner, Demotech Inc., to identify the nation’s Super Regional Property/Casualty Insurers™, classified as those insurers writing multiple lines of insurance in multiple states.
To determine the companies for the 2021 Super Regional Property/Casualty Insurer™ list, Demotech used the following specific, objective qualifying criteria and thresholds evaluated as of December 31, 2020:
- Active, individual companies.
- Reporting data using the property/casualty annual statement format.
- At least $1 million of direct premium written in each of two to 34 states.
- Less than 90 percent of direct premium written in any one state.
- Less than 90 percent of direct premium written in any one line of business.
- Policyholders surplus of at least $100 million.
- Net premium written of at least $50 million.
- Direct premium written of at least $25 million.