Merchants Mutual Insurance Company, part of the Merchants Insurance Group family of property and casualty insurance companies, was recently named a “Super Regional Property/Casualty Insurer” by Insurance Journal magazine.
Insurance Journal worked with their official research partner, Demotech Inc., to identify the nation’s Super Regional Property/Casualty Insurers™, classified as those insurers writing multiple lines of insurance in multiple states.
To determine the companies for the 2019 Super Regional Property/Casualty Insurer™ list, Demotech used the following specific, objective qualifying criteria and thresholds evaluated as of December 31, 2018:
- Active, individual companies.
- Reporting data using the property/casualty annual statement format.
- At least $1 million of direct premium written in each of two to 34 states.
- Less than 90 percent of direct premium written in any one state.
- Less than 90 percent of direct premium written in any one line of business.
- Policyholders surplus of at least $100 million.
- Net premium written of at least $50 million.
- Direct premium written of at least $25 million.
In general, a Super Regional Property/Casualty Insurer™ is an individual company writing multiple lines of insurance in multiple states. Risk retention groups, surplus lines insurers and reinsurers are not eligible for the Super Regional category because they are assigned to other classifications.