Merchants Mutual Insurance Company, part of the Merchants Insurance Group family of property and casualty insurance companies, was recently named a “Super Regional Property/Casualty Insurer” by Insurance Journal.
Insurance Journal identified the nation’s Super Regional Property/Casualty Insurers, those insurers writing multiple lines of insurance in multiple states. To determine the companies for the 2017 Super Regional Property/Casualty Insurer™ list, Demotech used these specific, objective qualifying criteria and thresholds evaluated as of December 31, 2016:
- Active, individual companies.
- At least $1 million of direct premium written in each of two to 34 states.
- Less than 90 percent of direct premium written in any one state.
- Less than 90 percent of direct premium written in any one line of business.
- Policyholders’ surplus of at least $100 million.
- Net premium written of at least $50 million.
- Direct premium written of at least $25 million.
The listing is not a ranking or rating of individual insurers, but rather reflects the size and amount of premium the companies have written. The criterion also takes into account how broad the geographic scope of the company is, as well as the number of lines of business a company writes.