Prepare For The Takeout Rush
Super Bowl Sunday is often one of the busiest takeout days of the year for restaurants, especially those like pizzerias and delis. An estimated 48 million Americans order takeout on Super Bowl Sunday! Behind Thanksgiving, Americans eat more on Super Bowl Sunday than any other day of the year. Make sure you’re prepared for the rush!
How to Prep Your Restaurant
This year’s game is on Sunday, February 12th, at 6:30pm. Is your restaurant ready?
Tips for Success
Here are some tips to help you prepare.
- Create an enticing menu. In addition to the food your place is known for, don’t forget special items sure to appeal to fans! Chicken wings are by far the best sellers (Americans eat 1.3 billion chicken wings on Super Bowl Sunday!), so promote delivery and takeout deals on wings and other favorite dishes.
- Consider making fan favorites particular to your area, or those that are representative of the Super Bowl teams. If the Philadelphia team is competing, for example, sell Philly cheesesteak sandwiches!
- Figure out what your customers want. The better you know your customers, the easier it will be to create an effective promotion.
- Create special deals, such as appetizers or desserts at reduced prices.
- Solidify your delivery and pickup options, as well as online ordering. In these times, many restaurant customers find it safer and easier to order online and get curbside pickup, delivery, or takeout. If you don’t already have your own delivery plan, it’s relatively easy to sign up for a delivery service.
Staffing, Supplies, and Other Logistics
- Do you have enough staff for the anticipated needs of the day?
- Are you fully stocked on all the foods you’ll need, the takeout containers, the utensils, et cetera?
- Email marketing is still an effective tool for many businesses. Consider sending a redeemable coupon to your customers.
- Don’t forget to update your website with new menu offerings and any changes in hours or contact information! Make sure your site is mobile responsive or make your site mobile responsive (meaning that your site adapts to any device used to view it).
- Update your social media accounts with incentives for social media follows and engagement. Plus, social media is an incredibly effective and inexpensive marketing tool to get the word out about your promotions.
- Make engagement with your business fun!
- Create a giveaway or post a poll on your website or social media accounts to see who your customers think will win or to make predictions on the final score. Each quarter, for example, you can give out a gift certificate to the winners or to customers on your email list or followers on social media.
Keep records about your strategy and successes before and during the Super Bowl takeout rush! When it’s over, take the time to see how you did. Celebrate your restaurant’s victories, and reflect on any areas for improvement. What promotions were the most popular? How can you make next year even bigger and better?
With a few simple plans to up your restaurant game, you can offer a fun game day for everyone. Plus, you’ll have a blueprint for success in all Super Bowl takeout rushes to come!
This blog was originally published by Merchants Insurance Group on January 6, 2022.